Friday 8 June 2012

William George Scholes 20.05.12

William George Scholes

Baby number 2 was on the way! The first few months of 2012 saw babies making early appearances so I spent a lot of time praying my baby would break that pattern due to trying to get Olivia's operations sorted.

So I was due on 10th May that date came and went and I was getting rather annoyed at how good my wishing had worked out.

Midwife came to see me on 17th May and said things weren't looking promising. I was sent to hospital on 18th for monitoring and a scan. They told me nothing was going to happen and wanted to book an induction for the Monday. I didn't want that do pushed it back to Thursday and made more plans to get me through to Thursday.

On Saturday Tom bought me a pizza for my tea to cheer me up so I ate that whilst sorting photos on my computer. My laptop did its usual trick of shutting down when I dare to do anything other than play on t'interweb so I got in a huff and went to bed complaining about my piece of crap laptop and belly ache the pizza had given me. (I still need to sort those photos out...)

I had felt a few twinges and told Tom there may be hope that I might not have to be induced nothing imminent but they felt promising.

When I lay down these little twinges felt stronger but didn't think much of it. An hour and a half later I was still awake as I kept thinking of them so decided to go down stairs for paracetamol so I could go to sleep.

That was about midnight and as I settled down to sleep I realised that the twinges were actually fairly uncomfortable and closer than I thought. I got my little contraction app on and they were every 10 minutes so I decided to get up so Tom could try and get some sleep.

I decided to get a bath as it's what they tell you to do and also I decided my hair was a little too greasy to have a baby heh.

As I climbed into the bath I realised that the twinges were now every 6 minutes and decided that yes I probably was in labour. Whilst sat in the bath I decided I would wait until at least 6 or 7 am before I called anyone.

I managed to get to 3am before waking Tom up to help with the TENS (aah slight relief) I had call his mobile as he couldn't hear me shouting and I could hear Liv stiring..

He called his folks and they headed down from Southport to collect Olivia. At this point I had a little panic that I was waking everyone up too early. Tom decided to add to the number of awake people and called my mum to get her to come to our house for our Tesco delivery.

So the in laws were here getting Liv ready, my mum prepped to get my food and my contractions every 2 1/2 - 3 minutes it was time to get to hospital. As Olivia took so long to arrive there was a part of me thinking it was too soon and they would send me home.

We arrive at hospital to the surprise of the midwives as I had telephoned the hospital earlier to put them on notice but the message hadn't been passed on and they were busy as lots of babies had decided to arrive.

The midwife we initially saw was lovely but I can not remember her name. She went through history, the events of the past couple of hours and read my birth plan.

She had done the standard chat about we'll check you over you may have to go home if not in actual labour. By the time she had the info from me that she needed she said there was no need to check me over as I was clearly in labour as I was having double contractions.

At about 6.00ish maybe? I asked her to check me over as the control freak in me needed to know how far along I was. I was 6cm to which there was great mix of emotions. Yaaay I was a good way along but boooo there must be a few hours to go yet, in my head it was 1cm an hour but clearly not.

The MW left us to it and I got Tom to rearrange the room haha. They have brilliant height windows ledges in the hospital to lean on during contractions but the bed was under the window. He sorted it for me and I felt easier for a bit.

MW popped her head in and made a joke that I was doing great and at this rate I might not even make it to the pool, I so did not have a sense of humour at that point and demanded drugs and lots of them. She chuckled said I would be fine and vanished.

I kept walking and leaning on windows and shouting at the bloody birthing ball which kept getting in my way but decided I wasn't coping and told Tom he had to push the button to get me the drugs, he lovingly ignored me and not long after the helpers came to get me to move me to the pool. At this moment I had the urge to push so the walk there was a little uncomfortable, especially without my lovely gas & air in my hand.

I got into the pool and freaked out as it was so bloody hot. I love hot baths but fark me whoever ran the pool had made it booooiling. We had a new MW at this point called Jo who stuck her hand in and had to agree and ran the cold water whilst I am stood there wanting to get out haha

I calmed down enough (and the water cooled enough) for me to kneel down but I was still being a bit of a loon saying I didn't know what to do and I wanted to push but was I allowed to push? Heh. With Olivia because there was issues we had a few people there and it seemed busy and people told me when to push or breathe. Jo just kept telling me to go with my body but I didn't know what I was doing! I may have also made comments about a magic sieve...

Very suddenly my brain engaged, I shut my whining and knew what I had to do and I was off. He bloody flew out. I read my notes and spoke to MW about the birth. She said my waters went just as I got in the pool and he arrived 11 minutes after that!

He arrived at 7.44 am weighing 8lb 8oz :)

Then there were lots of cuddles and cooing and being totally in love.

So he is almost 3 weeks old and he has been a dream. He fed great from the start and has just been so easy going, probably because I had a bit of an idea what I was doing this time around.

Poor boy has had a cold and sleeping on his back for a long time stuffed his little nose up so we have had a few 4am cuddles but he just chills on my shoulder.

Fingers crossed he stays so relaxed :)

I will add some photos if I ever turn my laptop back on.

1 comment:

Skippy said...

Awws this still makes me fill with tears. How amazing are you? :D xx